Brian and Laura Friedrich FCPA FCGA
LIES, ALTERNATIVE FACTS AND PROFESSIONAL SKEPTICISM
Brian Friedrich, LL.M, MEd, C.Dir, FCPA, FCGA
Laura Friedrich, MSc, CIA, FCPA, FCGA
This course has accompanying handouts - see the handouts tab after purchasing the course
When you read a headline online that says “Insanity: The Word ‘Man’ Is Banned at Princeton University,” do you immediately think “That goes too far!”? Or is your first reaction “Really? That sounds like an author writing a sensational headline to generate traffic to their article.”?
As professionals, our clients and the public in general count on us to be the “voice of reason” and to show a healthy amount of skepticism. In fact, professional skepticism is one of the key underlying competencies supporting our ability to meet our ethical requirements. This session explores the ways in which information is created and presented to influence our perception and decision-making.
The goal for this session is to explore risk areas where information and messages can be presented to deceive us, and how we can fool ourselves as a result of our own implicit biases. Just as importantly, the course examines how professional skepticism fits into our obligations as CPAs within the Code of Professional Conduct, primarily by supporting the requirements for objectivity, due care and professional competence.
Throughout the course, we will examine actual stories, and hear examples of messaging that illustrate these risks and biases. After working through the course, you should have a better understanding of common pitfalls that threaten decision-making, and have some additional tools to better meet those ethical obligations under the Code.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING THIS COURSE
- Listen to each module completely and in order. Modules will only mark as completed when the entire module has completed
- Completed modules will be indicated by a green check-mark.
- Once all audio modules have been marked as complete you can begin the quiz.
- The course will not complete unless all modules and quizzes are marked as complete.
- A minimum 70% pass rate is required to pass the course.
- Once you complete the final quiz and complete the course, please complete the course evaluation.
- Following the evaluation, you will be able to download your completion cerificate.
- After the course is completed, you will no longer be able to retake the quiz.
- You will be able to access the course content (audio files and handouts) for 1 year after purchase.
- Download your completion certificate at any time from your "My Courses" page.
PREREQUISITE REQUIREMENTS: None
Thanks to the following experts for participating in this course:
Gary Hannaford FCPA, FCA, Former CEO, CPA Manitoba; IESBA Board Member 2012-2017
Jennifer Phipps, CPA, CA, Director - Assurance Services, Leed Advisors
CY Tay FCPA, FCGA, CFO, Green Oak Development Corp.
FACEBOOK DISCUSSION GROUP
CLICK HERE to join the Facebook discussion group on Professional Ethics. Interact with others or with our Instructors Brian and Laura Friedrich and ask questions or leave comments.
COPYRIGHT: All content associated with this course is the property of ProDio Audio Learning Inc. and you may not copy or distribute course content without written authorization.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the nature of our course content, once the course has been purchased, we are unable to provide refunds.
To successfully complete your course: Listen to all modules fully and ensure that all modules and quizzes are marked as complete, then complete the final quiz and proceed to finish the course and download your completion certificate.
Please purchase course to view content